Saturday, December 22, 2012

I'm Me, Damnit!

One of the worst things a stylist hears when a customer sits in their chair is "I want you to do my hair exactly like ______." I only know how to do hair like me, Kate. I have heard so many stories; "my stylist cuts my haie with two pairs of scissors, at the same time.  My stylist blowdrys my hair with two blowdryiers. My stylist does my hair while stalding on one hand while holding the brush, comb, and blowdryer with his feet!"
I've heard it all. Many women go to hairdressers because of the way they make them feel.  Like Fiona.

Fiona was blonde 50ish. She came in for a haircut. Fiona showed me a picture of the cut she got about 10 years ago by a stylist in California. I watched her eyes as she showed me the picture, she looked dreamy almost catatonic. Oh shit this is not going to turn out well I thought. The picture was that of a simple bob, slightly above the sholder. No sweat. We talked I cut she seemed nice. I call these clients the Jekyll/Hyde clients. They start out fine and snap at the end.

I finished the cut and I showed Fiona the finished product. She looked in the mirror and her eyes filled up with tears. Oh God. "It's ruined!!" she screamed. I calmly asked her what was wrong. "It's too long!!" What? Too long well that's an easy fix. Too short no, too long just cut more. "Ohh that's no problem", I tried to reassure her. I'll just take a little more off." "NOOO!" She screamed Fiona went in to complete hysterics. I could not believe what I was seeing, a 50 year old woman having a breakdown over the favct that her hair was not too short but too long something that could be fixed, easily. She stood up leaped from my chair and told me that I ruined her life and went to the front desk to complain.

In hindsight I was glad that she got out of my chair. I am a hairstylist not a psychologist, and once someone looses their shit in my chair I want them gone. They gave Fiona to another stylist who did exactly what I would have done, cut off more hair. Unbelieveable.

No comments:

Post a Comment